Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Food

I have a few favorite snacks that are pretty easy and delicious, and I thought I'd share them with all of you.

My first snack is extremely simple—easy enough to make at work, for a fast but wholesome breakfast, or when you're craving something sweet but not too sugary. Take some Just Bunches (you know, the newish cereal that's like Honey Bunches of Oats but with no flakes)—make sure they're not caramel flavored. Yuck. Anyway, use a little less than you would eat with milk, and pour a few spoonfuls of Stonyfield Farm Fat Free Organic Yogurt (French Vanilla flavor is the best) over the top. Mix it up to coat the bunches, and TADAH! You've got a darn good snack with calcium that WON'T make you sick if you're lactose intolerant, soy intolerant, too poor to buy almond milk, and a staunch hater of rice milk. In fact, it's better than cereal and milk. I know I'm not the first person to think of putting granola in yogurt, but I thought I'd remind you all how wonderful it really is. Also, the Paradise Bakery and Cafe makes an excellent strawberry yogurt and granola parfait, but theirs did make my lactose intolerant tummy rumble quite a bit.

My second delicious snack works well as an hors d'oeuvre. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll tell you now it's not healthy at all. All you need is a package of Boursin cheese (if you've never had Boursin, eating this tasty morsel is one mouth-watering experience you can't live without), six strips of your favorite bacon, a green bell pepper, and a can of crescent rolls. Cook up the bacon and break it into one-inch pieces. Cut the bell pepper into strips about 1/4 inch wide and one inch long. Open up the can of crescent rolls, rip each triangular piece of dough roughly in half, and place one piece of bacon, one slice of bell pepper, and a half-teaspoon or so (hey, go nuts, it's your expensive cheese) in the middle of each piece of dough. Wrap each pile up in the dough, put them on a baking sheet, and follow the baking instructions on the can of crescent rolls.

What I like most about these recipes is that there's no measuring involved. Who needs to dirty a bunch of little plastic scoops every time they cook? Not me!

In Other News . . .

For the sake of not writing another post, I'll tell you here that I finally got an appointment with an endocrinologist. Unfortunately, they couldn't get me in to see her until the middle of January! That's in TEN WEEKS! But at least I'm in, and I can put off the disappointment that's likely to come with whatever the good doctor has to say about my condition.

No comments: